French Jesuit School
This structure, which is also known as the Old French School was built as a missioner school by the French Intelligence by order of the Church in the district of Tepecik of the Central township of Izmit. The school is made up of two buildings, one of which was a church and the other was a school. The building was built of brick and stone. Whereas rectangular windows were used in the school building, in the church building the classical Jesuitical pointed and arched type windows were used. The school which was built in the 19th century in the Ottomans time served as a combination of school and church between the years 1894 and 1923.
After the years of invasion of the city by foreign powers the buildings were used as the commandership of the naval base and fortified area between the years 1923 and 1953, and as the commandership of the military supply service between the years 1953 and 1956. The building was also used as the Regional Governmental Office building between 1956 and 1964 and between 1966 and 1977. In the year 1920, many people sheltered in these buildings escaping from the Greek army and saved their lives this way. And finally, the proprietorship of the building was given to the Regional Department of Revenues of izmit pursuant to the resolution of the Board of Protection of the Cultural and Natural Properties dated 3rd July, 1987 and numbered 3448. The buildings which were rectified after the big Marmara Earthquake as a result of the damages sustained during this earthquake, and so they keep today their original qualities. Part of the building is used today as the guest house of the regional office of the revenues department.